Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Sweet Vi-o-lets.

If I had known how invasive they would become, I don't think I'd ever have planted them. But they are sweet and endearing at this time of year, even as I'm ripping great clumps of them out!






I chanced upon the loveliest online shop the other day called Cottage Violets. It has the most gorgeous collection of violet inspired vintage lovelies. Do have a look!

This image is courtesy of lunagirl images.



The violets at my front gate are the first signs of approaching spring here, and a reminder that I have to get weeding, feeding and mulching.





I still rely on my winter pansies for my main purple fix!


I picked a tiny bunch of violets for the photos, and hunted for a vase tiny enough to display them.



Perfect.



I found a lovely recipe for violet jam on one of the blogs one day. Alas I cannot remember exactly who to attribute it to, but I think it might have been Soule Mama, who is a very reliable source of such lovely ideas.

Anyway, I haven't tried it, but it sounds delicious.



Violet Jam
1 packed cup violet blossoms

1 cup water

juice of 1 lemon

1/2 cup honey

pectin

Blend violets. 1/2 of the water and lemon juice. Heat remaining water and honey in a saucepan. When warm, add pectin and stir until mixed well. Add pectin/honey mix to blender. Blend again until smooth.Place in jars immediately to set. Can be frozen according to the author.

The only thing that puts me off is collecting a cup of packed violet blossoms. I'd have to take a packed lunch in red spotted hanky and be gone for the whole day!




2 comments:

  1. Ooh that recipe is truly different and probably quite yummy. I love violets, but I haven't got that many, so I will have to just dream of spreding that jam on my toast! Susie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That recipe sure sounds interesting. My Mum bakes a lot of things with lavender, I'll have to tell her about this one and see if she's game to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails