Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Tale of Two Rivers.

It was a misty, moisty morning, and cloudy was the weather, as they say, and I was off to the Waikato again yesterday, for another transplant clinic appointment with my son.

This is the tale of two Rivers. The Awakino and the Waikato.

It begins at the Awakino, as I travel through the Awakino gorge,

just as the light brakes properly

through the low hanging mist and fog.


You can't actually see the river in these photos, but it's there, behind the sheep and the woolsheds.






You know about my obsession with woolsheds, so you won't be surprised to find them here.



I've been considering my options, being retired for nearly a week now,
and I think what I'd really like would be
for someone to offer me the job as front person for Country Calender.
It's a rural magazine programme, and an institution in it's own right.
It's also New Zealand's longest running TV programme,
kicking off with the beginning of TV here in 1960.
I fancy swanning around in the High Country
in my RM Williams boots and moleskins,
talking to farmers and looking on during the autumn muster.
Of course I'd only wear proper bone coloured moleskins,
any other colour being just for townies and poseurs...


I particularly like the shape of this one.




The journey ends at the Waikato River, in the city of Hamilton.


The light had broken through the fog, and turned into a beautiful day.


My friend Connie emailed tonight and said that today the fog never lifted in Hamilton, and she felt cold for the first time this year.





This is a memorial garden down by the river bank near where Callum lives.


We went there so I could get river shots, but we found a lot more of interest.






Callum says this is his "Christian Rock Band " reference.


Apparently they stare off into the middle distance on their album covers and music videos.

Maybe that signifies contemplation of God or something, I don't know, but I think it is a very contemplative thing to do anyway, for an album cover ...








This is one of the other interesting things we found.






Neither of us had any idea that it was there.

There was a remembrance wall for both world wars.

Callum said, "are these all the people who died?"

I think it was a shock. These people are Hamilton's list only.

The complex loyalties of a Colonial past.

And then there was the Boer War.

Where Britain went, New Zealand went.

But then, they weren't called "World Wars" for nothing I suppose.

And Darwin did get very close to being invaded, so needs must I guess.






This is the Waikato from the bottom of Callum's garden.




From where, if you listen carefully, you may hear the bones of your ancestors calling to you.

It was a day all about bones and ancestors really.
Callum will probably go back on the transplant list this month, but it will be at least six months before we get a date.


Just have to accept that it will be for the best, but it is hard. I just want to fix him.







1 comment:

  1. It's all so beautiful there. I love anything to do with lambie-pies so I'm with you on the woodsheds!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails